There are many people out there who are living with various physical illnesses or chronic physical pain which can really take a toll on your mental well-being. Daily tasks that didn’t require any thought before the illness or injury might no longer be doable or may require a great amount of effort. It can be really easy to get frustrated with your body as it feels like it is turning against you. If you or someone you care about is experiencing physical pain these ideas may help relieve some discomfort which in turn can boost your mental well-being.
- Take your body for what it is now. Have some compassion towards yourself and try not to compare your current state to what you used to be able to do. People change, situations change. Focus on where you are currently at.
- Listen to your body. Our body is constantly telling us things, it is whether or not we chose to pay attention. Be aware if you are feeling extra fatigued or sore and then do what you need to address it.
- Use alternative therapies. Check in with your regular physician first, but it is worthwhile to check out alternative treatments like acupuncture or reiki. Maybe you think it’s a lot of mumbo jumbo, but what have you got to lose? Do a little bit of research and see if there could be an alternative therapy that fits for you.
- Practice good self-care. Make sure you are getting enough sleep and nutrients. Be physically active to the best of your ability. Take time to ice, use a heating pad, or foam roll sore muscles. Show yourself some compassion and kindness as you navigate this injury or illness.
- Focus on the good days. It is easy to get caught up in how poor you are feeling and minimize all that you still can do. Take time to reflect on your successes and how you are persevering.
P.S. This weekend I attended a funeral for a young man who left this world way too soon. While I did not know him well, I know he had an incredible will to survive. This week’s blog is dedicated to all of his friends and family who miss him dearly. In his words F&#@ cancer.